Autumn Days

12 Nov

The clocks have changed and it is dark all of the time – welcome to Autumn! I can’t remember the mornings being this cold and grim last year. I’m not sure if this observation means that I am officially old because I can’t remember 12 months ago. The rich autumn colours on the trees make the daylight hours bearable but I am still struggling to get used to darkness in the early afternoon.

Speaking of struggling, I have been struggling with a cold for the past ten days. I woke up with a bit of a sore throat which developed into a streaming cold, a bit of fever and a general feeling of complete crap-ness. This was awful timing as it was in the run up to my last week of revision for my exam. I didn’t get done half of the work that I wanted to do but I had already resigned myself to the fact that I couldn’t possibly learn any more with a brain and body that was aching from my flu-like systems, so I resigned myself to my fate and concentrated on getting myself better. The exam itself turned out to be ok but considering how poorly I was feeling a few days before, I am just glad that I was able to sit the exam in relatively good health.

The problem with the nights drawing in and the temperatures plummeting is that there is a huge temptation to stay indoors and not be particularly active. Yesterday, however, the afternoon was quite bright and sunny so we decided to go for a short walk to the local farm shop to buy some fresh vegetables for dinner.

I was quite surprised by how many people were outside enjoying the afternoon, either on foot, jogging or on a bike. Perhaps we are all subconsciously making the most of it before the snow arrives.

On our walk we bumped into some very inquisitive cows who were also enjoying the last of the mild weather before they, like us, are kept inside in the warmth for the winter.

9 Responses to “Autumn Days”

1. zannyro November 12, 2018 at 3:06 pm #

Although I’m in the states, we share a commonality…I am ten days in with the horrible cold! I am EIGHT days in with NO voice..laryngitis. I am sooooooooooooooo tired of it. Hot tea with honey, lots of water, still no voice. I hope you’re feeling better and I LOVE the cow with the sunlight tipping the edge of it’s ear!

• ourgirlinzurich November 12, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

I’m sorry to hear that you are so unwell. Luckily I didn’t lose my voice. I can imagine that it is both frustrating and painful at the same time! I had been drink whisky, with hot water, lemon juice and honey before bed to make sure that I could at least get a good night’s sleep! Hope you feel better soon!

• zannyro November 13, 2018 at 1:42 am #

I left out the whisky in my concoction! I should be doing that, I only sleep a bit each night. I’m sure I must be reaching the end of this…my daughter flies to Zurich in a week, I almost got to go…Darn!

• ourgirlinzurich November 14, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

She needs to bring warm clothes with her! Winter is definitely on the way!

• zannyro November 14, 2018 at 1:42 pm #

I’ll tell her! We were there last year at this time and it was cold..no snow, but cold. We were surprised at how warm the stores were and the hotel was the same.

2. Confuzzled Bev November 12, 2018 at 4:06 pm #

There were loads of people out here yesterday as well – mostly families and people with dogs. So many dogs! I didn’t see any cows though… I didn’t pass the church(!) where they hang out.

• ourgirlinzurich November 12, 2018 at 5:05 pm #

The cows hang out at the church? Do they say A-mooo! instead of Amen. Sorry, completely silly I know but I couldn’t resist!

• Confuzzled Bev November 12, 2018 at 5:33 pm #

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Technically it’s a church with an attached farm but when it’s warm the cows are on the grass right in front of the church.

• ourgirlinzurich November 12, 2018 at 6:14 pm #